microc...@zoho.com wrote:
On Wed, 09 May 2012 18:18:59 +0000 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

My main role is being a thorn in the side of the core developers when
something stops working :-) However I've previously offered to host a
(not very fast) system here for compilation etc., and the offer stands.

What SPARC box(es) do you have? I may be able to host Solaris development
systems if needed although the SPARC stuff would have to be scheduled since
I cannot leave them on all the time because of the huge noise and heat
factor. The Intel box is on most of the time.

I've got a range here: mostly U60 running "in anger", a U80, E4500, U10s, a U1, plus some museum pieces I can't find an OS for. I'm also one of very few people who've got an SS1000E running Linux SMP, but that's not a recent distro and because of library versions (**) I'm not sure what if any version of FPC I could get running on it.

** When a program is built, the (Linux) linker puts the actual filenames of the .so files it expects to find in the binary- not the names of any symlinks. That means that once you've built a binary using standard parameters, that binary /requires/ the same collection of .so versions that was on the development system... I managed to get around that to backport FPC from Solaris 10 to 8 but in general I think it's better to start off with a version that runs and work forwards.

I wholeheartedly agree that power, and in the Summer heat, is a massive problem. There's only so much we can afford, and even with substantial air conditioning things can get pretty unpleasant in my workroom and the adjacent machineroom. That's why I'm only able to offer U10s as always-up systems, Vincent used one of those for Lazarus two or three years ago and I've tried to test both FPC and Lazarus on Linux and Solaris fairly regularly since.

His point was that Slackware has a far more limited range of binaries and
libraries than do more popular distreaux such as Debian/Ubuntu, but it
has its uses.

Right you are.

Anyway, the particular glibc version was probably selected by the ld
linker when compiling the binaries on the builder's machine.

I'll check 2.7.1 on SPARC Solaris 8, 10 and Slackware 12 over the next
few days. I don't anticipate any problems, and in the interest of getting
the OP (who hasn't provided us with a more genteel handle) going I could
mail or FTP him tarballs as appropriate.

If 2.6.0 is ok for Linux that is good enough for me as far as Slackware
goes. I may try to rebuild against my glibc or just forget about it on
Linux and concentrate on Solaris since I prefer to work on Solaris anyway.

I appreciate your offer for packages but since you or somebody else has
already pointed me to the buildfaq, I'll try this on my own and when I get
stuck I'll email the list again. Thanks again for all the help.

You might find it useful to go to the Mantis bug tracker and look at the SPARC-related bugs I've reported- use "View Issues", expand "Search", select "Mark Morgan Lloyd" from "Reporter" then "Use Filter". You might in particular need http://mantis.freepascal.org/view.php?id=18271 when getting your initial FPC binary installed on Solaris 10.

When you get to compiling, you might find it necessary to use a command line like this:

make NOGDB=1 OPT='-O- -gl'

What that does is tell it to not try to use the optional libgdb in the fp text-mode IDE, and it disables optimisation in the compiler binary (/not/ the compiler's ability to apply optimisation) so that if something goes wrong you can get a useful backtrace.

On Debian, you'll need [checks] build-essential, gdb, libgpmg1-dev, and some combination of libncurses5-dev and libncursesw5-dev. If you get as far as building Lazarus use trunk (on SPARC) and treat libgtk2.0-dev and possibly libqt4pas-dev as prerequisites, if those aren't available (e.g. on Slackware) I suggest we continue on the Lazarus mailing list.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk