On 2017-05-17 06:12, nore...@z505.com wrote:
But any game ends up using opengl anyway, doesnt' it?

They shouldn't have too. I love the retro style low-fidelity games. They are perfectly possible to implement without OpenGL using GCC or Java. But I couldn't achieve the same with FPC - what this whole discussion was about in the Lazarus Forum (and now here it seems).

AFAIR the doom and quake ports ran pretty fast,

Are you talking about the Object Pascal implementations? If so, where they compiled with FPC or Delphi? As far as I know they where compiled with Delphi, and thus should have much better performance.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/