How did you build/get freetype.dll? If it was built using Visual Studio, freetype.dll might have been linked against a newer C++ runtime such as msvcr71.dll that is not shipped with windows by default. You clearly need to deploy C++ runtime libs as well with your product. You may benefit from such tool as a dependency walker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_Walker).
On linux you can just use ldd.

Hope this helps,

Stefan