On Thu, 7 May 2020, Ryan Joseph via fpc-pascal wrote:

On May 7, 2020, at 4:44 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <mich...@freepascal.org> wrote:

I'm not even sure BSON will be accepted for LSP.

I talked to them already and they're not keen to add extensions to the
plugin so I'll probably give up on this route.  The spec from Microsoft
doesn't say anything about this either so maybe it's a bottle neck others
have hit.  Sending plain text is horribly stupid and Microsoft doesn't
seem to be taking performance seriously.  If they want to improve
performance there is other low hanging fruit but it requires Microsoft to
extend the protocol.

At least partial updates to a file should be there.
Sending the whole file at essentially every few keystrokes is just braindead...

The amount of redundant information being sent around is ridiculous. Mainly, the spec gives no way for the client to cache results and refer to
them later in various requests.  We're literally sending around mega bytes
of data for no reason whatsoever, except lazy programmers I guess.

Indeed.

I was doing some tests in VS Code with omnipascal; The Omnipascal LSP server
process takes 100% cpu.
No surprises there....

Computers just keep getting slower and slower sometimes it feels...

Welcome to IT in 2020: waiting, staring at a wait cursor... And more waiting.... :-)

Like I said: This is probably one of the reasons for the current trend towards huge amounts of really small files.