On Sat, 24 Jun 2023, Hairy Pixels via fpc-pascal wrote:

On Jun 24, 2023, at 10:11 PM, Hairy Pixels <generic...@gmail.com> wrote:

Doesn't this mean the compiler can dictate the binary size by inlining
everything even if the programmer doesn't want that?

and another thing, I have frequent problems with a crash which happens in
an inlined function and it's now not possible to step into the code in the
debugger.  Now I can disable the inline and step in the function but if it
was auto inlined that would be really bad.  Maybe the debug info could fix
this though?  It's a general problem with inlined functions anyway.

- You can disable inlining with a directive. One can envision that when
  compiling with debug info, no inlining is done.

- We're speaking about concepts. That the compiler's implementation has
  imperfections has no influence on the merits of the concepts themselves.
  It just means the implementation needs improvements.