Hi,

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 06:49:17AM -0800, d0minicide wrote:
> Both tools will be quite useful, however I do regret the
> similarities in name.

Yes, the more or less same name and similar functionality is a little
bit inconvenient.

But since they both are for disjunct sets of operating systems
(Windows vs Unix), I (personally) am fine with it. (But then again, I'm
not it's maintainer. I just package fping.org's fping for Debian and
its derivatives.)

I'm actually surprised that this never popped up before (at least for
me) as I know "our" fping for like a decade and follow it quite
closely since the time it found its new home at the fping.org domain,
i.e. since 2009/2010. (The home of its no more maintained version 2 is
http://fping.sourceforge.net/. -- fping.org's fping is just its
continuation.)

I though missed the existence of this mailing list initially, so I'm
not sure if this was a topic here before.

Then again, both tools are not that young. kwakkelflap.com's FPing
dates at least back to 2001 (Version 2.02) and "our" fping dates back
to at least 1992 (Version 1.1). So I would expect that at least the
one or other previous maintainer of "our" fping was aware of it or
even had contact with Wouter Dhondt, the author of kwakkelflap.com's
FPing.

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | a...@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | a...@noone.org (Mail+Jabber)