From: Ridder, Fred [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 1:44 PM
To: Nandini Garud; Art Campbell
Subject: RE: A bug & note on using .png graphics....

JPEG is a very poor choice of file format for screen shots because it
invariably produces artifacts ("smudginess") near text, lines, and
other abrupt color transitions, which generally abound in screen shots.
It is the only common file format that is subject to this kind of
inherent
degradation. JPEG was designed for *photographic* images where
the number of abrupt transitions (edges) is relatively small and where
the surface textures of the objects in the scene will mask the
artifacts.
Screen shots are *mostly* edges and there is nothing to conceal the
artifacts.

--
Art Campbell                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                            No disclaimers apply.