MMoS may not like "if..., then," but that doesn't mean it agrees with the
editor. There's a big difference between saying the "then" is unnecessary and
saying you need to add an "and."

> This has also been the policy/practice with my past and present
> employers and clients. I formerly also used "if...then" constructions
> almost exclusively, so it was a challenge for me to adhere to this
> standard when I first encountered it. But after thinking it through, I
> eventually agreed that it is cleaner and more succinct.

For what it's worth, I rarely use "then" in this situation, but using "then" is
much better than using "and then." As others have said, in this construction,
that's just grammatically wrong.

Bob
"Love people. Use things. Not vice-versa." -- Kelly Rothaus