Marsha,
Do you have a r/w write rule that maps the tgroup element to a table? Is the TCaption element declared in your DTD and defined in the EDD to a FrameMaker table title? FM does treat an element named "tgroup" specially; it tries to interpret it in light of the CALS table model, and your definition is not quite the standard one.
        --Lynne