Marsha,
I have done some testing (using FM 7.2, but table handling did not change from 7.1 to 7.2) with several variations of the model you describe. As I suspected, the problem seems to involve use of the element names from the CALS table model. In particular, the CALS table model is a five level hierarchy. A CALS table consists of:

1. The Table element
2. One or more Tgroup elements, each of which is a block of adjacent rows. Successive Tgroups may have different numbers of columns and columns of different widths. Even within one Tgroup, however, a particular entry can span or straddle multiple rows or columns.
3. THead, TBody, TFoot elements within each Tgroup
4. Rows within each THead, TBody, TFoot
5. Entries within the rows

  In contrast, the FrameMaker table model has four levels:

1. The table
2. Heading, body, and footing parts
3. Rows within the heading, body, and footing
4. Cells within the rows

In both models, any table title (or caption)is a child of the root table element. FrameMaker supports two ways of mapping between this two models, and it uses the names "table" and "tgroup" to determine when the mapping is needed. One variation is to preserve all five levels of the CALS model. Here the outermost level, the element named Table is a FrameMaker container, any title is a container that is a child of that element, and each Tgroup is a FrameMaker table without a title. The advantage of this approach is that it keeps the CALS model; the primary disadvantage is that the table title is a container rather than a table title and hence does not repeat on every page of a multipage table. A second disadvantage is that in most applications tables never have more than one Tgroup and hence users may wonder why the extra element is needed.

The second variation of the CALS table model assumes there is always exactly one Tgroup per Table. In this case the Tgroup element exists only in XML, the Table element is a FrameMaker table and any title is a FrameMaker table title.

Your application seems to be using the five-level model in FrameMaker, but using a FrameMaker table title. Without a custom plug-in, FrameMaker cannot move the table title from the Tgroup to the containing Table as called for in CALS, so it drops it. Even if your DTD defines the TCaption element as a child of the TGroup, FrameMaker tries to force your data to the CALS model.

Various simple modifications allow you to export your data. For example, you can change the name of Tgroup to something else (I used TgroupX). By the way, recognition of the name "tgroup" is case-insensitive. You can get rid of the wrapper Table element. You can move the caption to a container preceding the Tgroup.

        --Lynne