From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
] On Behalf Of Dave Reynolds
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 1:22 PM
To: FrameUsers List; Free Framers
Subject: Frame 6 crashes on WinXP with edited fmdlg.dll file

Hi folks

Just posting this in case anyone else has had the same problem.  I
received a new PC late last year and had to reinstall all my software,
updates, patches, etc.  I also changed at this time from Win2k to WinXP.
I duly installed Frame 6, plus the updates for 405 and XP, plus my own
customisations (keyboard shortcuts, maker.ini, plug-ins, etc).
All was well until last week when I tried to open a Frame file with
missing referenced graphics.  I selected to skip the graphics, and Frame
crashed.  To cut a long story short, I uninstalled Frame, then
reinstalled it, making sure I did install the 405 and XP patches, then
installed my customisations.  I then tried to open the same file and got
the same result - Frame crashed.

At this point I remembered that after the first crash, I thought I might
have forgotten to install the XP patch after I got the new PC.  At that
point I tried installing it again, and it came up with an error about a
file not being as expected.  I was pretty sure the file it mentioned was
fmdlg.dll, so I then suspected that the crash might have happened
because I have edited fmdlg.dll to increase the size of some dialogue
boxes (using Resource Hacker).  I replaced my edited fmdlg.dll file with
the original file and opened the Frame file with missing graphics again.
I chose to skip the missing files and it opened with no problems.  I
went back to my edited fmdlg.dll file and Frame crashed.

I've chosen to keep my edited fmdlg.dll file as the expanded dialogue
boxes are very useful.  But now I know I can change back to the original
if I need to open a file with missing graphics.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, or know of a way around it?
Is it fixed in Frame 7?  I presume not many people have hacked around
with the fmdlg.dll file, so I may be the only person to come across this
problem?

Regards

Dave

--

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Dave Reynolds                         Phone: (64) (3) 358 1029
Senior Technical Author               Fax: (64) (3) 359 4632
Tait Electronics Ltd                  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PO Box 1645
Christchurch
New Zealand

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be the
subject of legal or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by
reason of this transmission.
apologies, notify us by return, delete all copies and perform no other
act on the email.
Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been  altered or
corrupted during transmission.

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/tammy.vanboening%40f
iserv.com