Hi Gyanesh...

Each time you regenerate your book, the conditional settings in effect, will define the content shown in the generated lists (Index and TOC specifically).

The index is generated from index markers, and they will be used (or not) depending on their conditional tagging. This isn't too bad if the index markers are within a paragraph that is tagged with a condition, but if you just want to conditionalize words within a marker, that's a bit tougher .. in general you'd need to create duplicate markers with different text, and conditionalize each marker accordingly. However this is difficult to maintain since it's very hard to just tag a single marker with a specific condition. There are a couple of plugins that help with conditionalized or variable content in a marker (MarkerTools and Index Tools Pro .. links below). It's a good practice to avoid conditional content within index entries .. it's one thing to include/exclude a marker in a specific output, but if you start messing with words within a marker, you'll go nuts.

   MarkerTools - http://www.leximation.com/tools/info/markertools.php
   Index Tools Pro - http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com/Products.html

The TOC is generated from the paragraph styles (headings) that you specify, and it will only pull in the content that is in a "show" state. As with markers, it's good to avoid conditionalizing specific words in headings .. it can be done but you have to be careful to conditionalize the spaces properly so you don't end up with too few or too many.

Variables will show/hide along with the surrounding content that is tagged in a certain way. If you want to change the definition of a variable for different output types, you can change the values in a template and import that into all files into the book .. or use our BookVars plugin to swap the definitions as needed.

   BookVars - http://www.leximation.com/tools/info/bookvars.php

If you're using DITA, depending on the method you're using to create the PDFs (through Frame or through the DITA-OT), you can still use conditional tagging, or you can use the filtering attributes on each element. With DITA, you'd typically set the filtering attributes on elements to determine the product, audience, etc. and when you generate your output, you'd filter out the elements that don't apply to that version (similar to using conditional tags). There's a great plugin (ABCM) for Frame that lets you apply conditions (and thus hide/show content) based on attribute values. This is a must if you're producing output through Frame and want to use attribute values to do the filtering (it's free too!). (If you're generating your output through the XSLT transformations in the DITA-OT, you'd do this filtering using a ditavals file.)

   ABCM - http://www.weststreetconsulting.com/WSC_ABCM.htm

Good luck!

...scott

Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.
www.leximation.com
+1.415.485.1892

Gyanesh Talwar wrote:
Thanks Scott!

I think i will settle for show/hide. And if I do, is there a way to
handle index/toc/variables (such as name of the book) automatically?
Or do I do that manually?

And let's say I have to implement DITA. Can I still publish two
different PDFs selectively? And how will I carry out the selection of
text in Structured Frame?

Thanks again!

Gyanesh