The old Ventura versions (up to 4.2) had language or region specific
import/export filters for referenced files, especially .TXT files. Upgrading
may fail if the filter code mentioned in the original CHP file is unknown to
the newer version of Ventura or the Framemaker import filter.

I'd be surprised if Framemaker can import 5.0 or newer Ventura docs. Hence,
unless your documents are very old you might be better off keeping them in
Ventura 4.2. The 4.2 version CAN still run on Windows 2000 or Windows XP though
the installer may fail.

The easiest way to have this old Ventura run again is to copy an installed
version from an old Windows 95/98 computer directly into the C:\VENTURA folder,
and then create a shortcut to vpwin.exe. If you can't keep all references to an
existing WID file (must NOT be ENVIRON.WID) some text flow will occur -- in
which case you might want to upgrade anyway :-)

- Jacob

khuset.dk