I believe Mark's question relates to character range underlining, and
not paragraph level underlining via "frame below" options.

One respondent earlier (sorry, can't quickly find out whom) to Mark's
essentially identical question suggested that underlining may be a
property of the font, and thus a custom (customized?) typeface possibly
would provide the capability.

As far as I know, there is no easy way to manage this in FrameMaker
directly.

The only possible mechanism I can see for this is to completely compose
and finalize your document so there will be NO line ending or page break
changes, and then use Frame's drawing tools to overlay a line of the
type you desire on the page before generating the PDF.  This would allow
you to use different line styles (such as dashed or dotted) or colors
(grey) if desired.  You could place the custom "underline" in a graphic
frame on the page itself, but that is an unnecessary step.

If this is a critical requirement for your document, then Frame really
is not the tool to use.

On Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:55, Art Campbell wrote:

| Go to the document's Reference Page, where the line formats are
| stored, and modify away with the Drawing Tools or each object's
| properties box. If you want to create additional formats, just
| make a reference frame, name it, and put the new line inside.
|
| You can also paste a graphic file into a referenced frame if
| you want to.
|
| Art
|
| On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 8:21 AM, OCONNOR Mark
| <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > Hi all,
| >
| > Is there any method of creating new under line formats in FrameMaker
| > (to be accessed through the Character Designer), or is there any way
| > of changing the default formats (Single, Double, or Numeric)?
| >
| > Alternatively, is there any way of changing the display of under
| > lines in the generated pdf?
| >
| > We would like to use a dotted under line to indicate links to the
| > glossary, but I can't think of any way of doing it. We're using
| > FrameMaker 7.x on Windows XP, we normally distill with the built-in
| > version of Distiller that comes with FrameMaker. We also have
several
| > different full versions of Acrobat.
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Mark O'C
|
| --
| Art Campbell [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|  "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent
| and a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
|  No disclaimers apply.
|  DoD 358

- Lester
Lester C. Smalley              Email: lsmalley AT infocon DOT com
Information Consultants, Inc.  Phone: 302-239-2942 FAX: 302-239-1712
Yorklyn, DE  19736               Web: www.infocon.com