The original problem reported by Paul stems from the Windows
"phantom phont phenomena!" Windows font enumeration, used by standard
Windows applications (such as FrameMaker), allows printer drivers to
insert font information to be passed back to the application even if
such fonts are not actually installed on the system. PostScript printer
drivers (and specifically, the standard PSCRIPT5 driver of Windows 2000,
XP, and Vista) enumerates all fonts found in the PPD file - for Adobe
PostScript 3 devices, this could be up to 136 fonts! PCL drivers often
enumerate fonts built into the printer.

If you actually try to use a phantom phont in your document and the
font is indeed printer-resident for the printer you have set as the
current print device, Windows will substitute something on the screen
and your output will use the printer version of that font.

The workaround that I have advocated for over seven years (first documented
as part of a workaround for the infamous Zapf Dingbats problem - see
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4dc7a>) is to edit all PostScript
printer PPD files, either prior to doing a PostScript printer driver
instance installation or afterwards (both are tricky) to eliminate ALL
font references except one - you must keep the line that defines Courier.
Once such an edit is made, the driver no longer enumerates printer-resident,
i.e., phantom, fonts to application programs.

Note that applications that bypass the OS font enumeration (such as Illustrator,
Photoshop, InDesign, and Acrobat) aren't phooled by the phantom phont phenomena!

Per Art's response, no, moving to the Adobe Acrobat (Adobe PDF) printer
default won't solve the problem since Times is not a native font of the
Distiller.

If you really want/need Times, you have the following options:

(1)     Change all occurrences of "Times" in your documents and templates
to "Times New Roman" remembering that "Times New Roman" is in fact a different
font than "Times" although Microsoft (via Monotype) endeavored to keep the
"set widths" of the characters in Times New Roman the same as those of Times
to minimize the chance of line ending differences.

(2)     If you have a Xerox printer that uses Adobe PostScript, it came with
a CD or DVD with host-based versions of the printer resident fonts. You
can install the fonts you need from that CD onto your computer.

(3)     You can license either the Type 1 version of Times from Adobe or
with changes to your document for the font name, the OpenType version,
Times LT Std and install that font on your system.

        - Dov