Hi all,

I normally would never contradict Jeremy or Dov, but I don't think it's fair
to say that PDF is designed to create manuals only for printing.  In the
olden days, yes, but not now.

We provide all our docs in PDF to our customers, but we designed our manuals
to be used primarily on line.  We include links and other features to help
users find and display information quickly.  We're working on adding GUI
walk-throughs using Captivate, and adding 3D animated graphics using
Captivate and FM as well.

But I agree with Jeremy on the FM to Word issue.  We actually tried that
with some of our docs because the enginering division in Japan does not have
FM yet (sometime this year, hopefully).  Yes, we could convert the docs with
mif2go, but it's a real hassle to do the conversion, get their updates in
word, update the FM docs, and then convert the updated docs back to Word
again.  It is just not a productive way to get edits.  We finally got them
to accept PDFs and use the reviewing capabilities to make comments and
edits.  It's what the tools were designed to do and it works.

However, the above process does not work for info on new features,
especially when they include drawings and/or screenshots.  For that, they
still send us Word docs because Word is currently the tool they have.

Diane Gaskill
Hitachi Data Systems