We have discovered a repeatable bug causing a hard crash in FrameMaker 9. By
hard crash I mean Frame locks up, goes sort of "white screen", starts eating up
the CPU, and requires Task Manager to break out, sometimes after multiple
attempts. It will drive the CPU to 100 percent, effectively disabling the
machine. Frame is fully patched p250.

To demonstrate, just open a new file, insert a default table, such as Format A,
and Import Formats Current. You will go down hard. This happens on any Windows
version, XP, or 7, that we have been able to test. It happens on all machines
tested.

I have also discovered that if you change the table designer settings to "No
Title" the issue goes away. If you add a title to an existing table and import
formats current you crash.

More interesting facts: The task manager shows FrameMaker twice, even though
only one has been launched. You must actually terminate both entries in task
manager to break out. Then it takes a bit for the CPU usage to calm down. It
acts like Frame does not know how to handle "Current" and is trying to launch
Frame a 2nd time and freezing in the processes.

If you import from a different file (not current) you do not crash.

Of course we can avoid the crash by not importing current. But a more insidious
side of this is that we are getting random instant crashes while performing
operations on large book files that are causing serious reliability and
usability issues with our attempted upgrade to Frame 9. Researching the issue
is taking time that we do not have. So far it looks like it is files with
tables that are triggering these random crashes as well. If we cannot reliably
operate on our books we will not be able to upgrade to Frame 9. We do thousands
of processes a year and random crashes would be a nightmare.

We are using structured files, but unstructured ones have the same issue.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues, or does anyone have any clues as how
to prevent them?

Thanks

Oran