I think Art is on the right track for a solution. I seem to recall some
previous discussions of some version(s) of FM having a problem with one
specific PNG color depth option, and the solution was to resave the graphic
from an image editor. For this purpose, the editor in most screenshot
applications (e.g. Snagit) whould work as well as any phancy photo phiddler
(e.g. PhotoShop) you might have available to you.
-Fred Ridder

> From: art.campb...@gmail.com
> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:15:40 -0400
> Subject: Re: FM8 8 error message when importing *.png file
> To: dfar...@yahoo.co.uk
> CC: Framers@lists.frameusers.com
>
> If everything else is working, I'd open the .png with a photo editor other
> than the one you used to create it and do a SaveAs PNG again, and try the
> import a second time with the new file.
>
> Most times when I've had a problem importing graphics, it's turned out to be
> a problem with the source graphic file...
>
> And if your system's been up a while, it wouldn't hurt to clear and reclaim
> memory by rebooting....
>
> Cheers,
> Art
>
> Art Campbell
> art.campb...@gmail.com
> "... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and a
> redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
> No disclaimers apply.
> DoD 358
>

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:24 AM, David Farbey <dfar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I am using FM 8.0p277 (installed as part of TCS 1) on Win XP Pro.
> >
> > In the recent past I have had no problem importing *.png graphic files into
> > FrameMaker 8.
> >
> > Today I tried to import a *.png file and received an error message: “The
> > filter encountered an error and could not complete the translation.” I can
> > import files in other formats such as *.jpg.
> >
> > I had a quick look on the Adobe support forum, but the only references to
> > this error message appear to be related to importing PDF documents into
> > FrameMaker 7.
> >
> > Any ideas for resolving this issue would be gratefully received.

inbox.