I'd forgotten about using calibre (it's free) and will convert PDFs to ePUB
format eBooks. It doesn't handle digital rights, so if you wanted to restrict
your ePUB in any way, it won't work - it only creates "open" ePUBs.

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Rick Quatro
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 3:00 PM
To: ri...@inficon.com; framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: eBooks, EPUB, using FrameMaker

Hi Richard,

If you look at the EPUB datasheet PDF, you will see that "EPUB is an
XML-based file format designed to reflow text according to screen size."
Since EPUB is XML-based, you should be able to produce output from
FrameMaker that can be converted to EPUB format. As far as tools, you can
look at Webworks EPublisher (I think that's what they call it now), or
possibly Mif2Go. If you are using structured FrameMaker, you may be able to
use XSLT to transform your documents to the EPUB format.

I am sure there is more to it than I am describing, but my point is that you
don't have to switch to InDesign to produce EPUB files.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
585-659-8267
r...@frameexpert.com

*** Frame Automation blog at http://frameautomation.com

Subject: eBooks, EPUB, using FrameMaker

The CEO of my company has asked that I look into eBooks and the EPUB
standard. He sent me the link:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/design/crossmedia_resources/eboo
ks_software.html

I know nothing about this, so I'm on a real learning curve here. The first
thing I notice is that Adobe is pushing InDesign as the vehicle to create
eBooks. This is a real stumbling block for me. We've got over 15 years
invested in FrameMaker and all our docs are created and maintained in
FrameMaker. My "books" are delivered as PDFs.  I am loathe to shift from
FrameMaker to InDesign given our extensive history with FrameMaker.

My question is, can I create eBooks and EPUB documents from FrameMaker, or
am I truly locked in to InDesign for the eBooks and EPUB standard? If I
can use FrameMaker, where would I find information about using FrameMaker
to create eBooks and EPUB documents?

Thanks!
Richard

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/jeff.coatsworth%40jonassoftware.com