On 12/8/2010 1:20 PM, ri...@inficon.com wrote:
The CEO of my company has asked that I look into eBooks and the EPUB
standard. He sent me the link:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/design/crossmedia_resources/ebooks_software.html

I know nothing about this, so I'm on a real learning curve here. The first
thing I notice is that Adobe is pushing InDesign as the vehicle to create
eBooks. This is a real stumbling block for me. We've got over 15 years
invested in FrameMaker and all our docs are created and maintained in
FrameMaker. My "books" are delivered as PDFs.  I am loathe to shift from
FrameMaker to InDesign given our extensive history with FrameMaker.

My question is, can I create eBooks and EPUB documents from FrameMaker, or
am I truly locked in to InDesign for the eBooks and EPUB standard? If I
can use FrameMaker, where would I find information about using FrameMaker
to create eBooks and EPUB documents?

Richard,

ePublisher Pro has been able to create ePUB output since the 2010.2 release. This is fairly straight-forward to accomplish with FrameMaker source documents. ePublisher handles all ePUB 2.0 packaging requirements and offers support for configuring splash page images under various readers.

You can check out a segment on building ePUB deliverables with ePublisher here:

  47:50 into the session

<http://www.webworks.com/Recordings/2010/09/Show%20Me%20-%20September%202010/>

The segment also discusses inherent limitations you may encounter with various ePUB readers and demonstrates ePublisher options to address them (large image handling, wide table layouts, etc.)

Ben Allums
all...@webworks.com