On 22/02/2011 7:19 PM, Mike Wickham wrote:

>> I think it was a mistake for FrameMaker 10 not to include ePub output directly from FrameMaker. I can output an ePub straight from InDesign or straight from Apple Pages, but I need the full TCS3 to output ePub through RoboHelp.
>>
> When I saw the announcement of RJ Jacquez' webinar on producing EPUB, I was excited. That's a feature I could use. Then I watched the webinar and saw that RoboHelp would also be required, and was disappointed. The logic, according to RJ, was that Adobe chose to put Web output into RoboHelp and print output into FM. But, sheesh. Those of us who create print books have no need for any of the help or Web features in RoboHelp, but it would be nice to port a book easily into EPUB. There's no way I'm going to spend the $1300 to upgrade to TCS3 just for that capability, though.
>
> So maybe a RoboHelp Extra Lite is what I want-- EPUB only. Or, maybe now that ExtendScript is hooked into FM, some third party will create a reasonably priced script that would do the conversion.

Mike, I think that those are profound and interesting statements. The same thought has occurred to me regarding other software that I use. Wouldn't it be beneficial to the user AND the vendor if we could buy just the outputs that we need at a per-output-price? Wouldn't it mean more potential sales for the vendor? As you suggested (re: "reasonally priced script"), it seems to me that if the current vendors won't do it, someone else will.

Nadine