I think I've discovered (at least part of) the issue.

The links are actually there. What's happening is that instead of the
PDF hotspot covering the entirety of the text being wrapped in the
xref or fm-xref tag, it's forming as a little tiny spot to the left of
the visible text. I suspect this is the same thing that happens with
xrefs to table footnotes, although at the moment I'm not remembering
the why.

Tomorrow I'm going to take a look at the files this is happening in to
see if my coworkers are using the same elements in cases where it
works versus where it doesn't work, whether the attributes are
different, etc. I'm pretty new to structured Frame/DITA in general, so
digging into this ought to be fun. :)

HOWEVER!!! If anyone has already seen this issue and knows the cause
and a fix, feel free to let me know. I love to figure things out, but
I hate reinventing the wheel! (Meantime, off to Google!)

--
Lin Sims