Hello,

I suspect the effect that you may be observing is Microsoft's handling of some multibyte characters, where they get mutated to the Unicode replacement character '�' U+FFFD - which appears to happen very often when content is imported or pasted into FrameMaker from Microsoft word.

The character is not shown in FrameMaker, but if the file is exported to XML or HTML, it is rendered as a question mark in a rhombus diamond symbol: � - as shown on the web page:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/fffd/index.htm
Some browsers and applications display it as a hollow box character.

If you know the exact position of one of the errant character in the FrameMaker document, you can select the single character by using the cursor keys, and press the delete key. For some document I found it was possible to select Select Edit > Find/Change... ; specify text to find as: \x0d ; and then click Change All.

Regards
// Simon BUCH