Hi Rebecca

Your to-do list is pretty accurate. I've added my comments below, preceded
by [Yves]>>>

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM, rebecca officer <
rebecca.offi...@alliedtelesis.co.nz> wrote:
Hi everyone

Thanks very much for your answers. I really appreciate the expertise on
this list.
[Yves]>>> You're welcome.

I'm asking because I proposed to my team that we investigate going to
DITA. One of my team members asked why not just use our existing set of
paragraph tags etc and convert those to structured Frame and then into an
XML schema? I didn't really have a good answer.
[Yves]>>> Because you'd be reinventing the DITA wheel, and this would mean
a lot of work.

As well as us editing docs in Framemaker, we'd want engineers editing the
same docs in another XML editor, eg Oxygen. So we'd have to round-trip.
[Yves]>>> Good idea and good choice of tools: oXygen XML Author and
FrameMaker+DITA-Fmx play very well together. With FMx-Auto (
http://leximation.com/dita-fmx/fmx-auto.php ), you can even generate Fm
books from within oXygen.

So am I right that if we do our own schema, we'd have to:

- create a template (based on our unstructured FM one): [Yves]>>> correct,
but you may have to create templates (plural), which may be difficult to
maintain
- model tables, cross-references, images, etc: [Yves]>>> correct
- model some equivalent of conrefs if we want content reuse [Yves]>>>
correct, but also think of equivalents of other advanced DITA reuse
techniques, such as conditional text (ditaval), relationship tables, keys
(keyref, keydef, conkeyref...)
- create some equivalent of ditamaps [Yves]>>> correct, this would be Fm
books
- create an EDD [Yves]>>>correct, but you may have to create multiple EDDs
(for authoring and for publishing)
- create a DTD [Yves]>>> correct, but this may be multiple DTDs (for
various information types)
- create read/write rules [Yves]>>> correct
- create XSLT and CSS files in order to output XHTML [Yves]>>>correct
- create an XSL-FO file in order to output PDFs [Yves]>>>not necessarily.
you can also create your PDFs via FrameMaker

[Yves]>>> When doing the information modeling, do not underestimate the
effort to define the metadata and the attributes in particular.

Or am I drastically on the wrong track? [Yves]>>> No, you're doing just
fine. ;-)

Does structured Frame automatically provide any of the above?
[Yves]>>> Structured Frame without DITA (so saving your files as .fm not
.xml)? No. Structured Frame with DITA? Yes, and structured Frame with
DITA-FMx even a lot more than that:

http://leximation.com/dita-fmx/featurecomparison.php

[Rebecca] With DITA, I think we'd use DITA-FMx. Does that make it easier to
muck with your PDF output? From what I've read, PDFs sound like the biggest
pain point so far.

[Yves]>>> There are various ways and tools to generate PDFs from
DITA-structured content:

   - DITA > FrameMaker > PDF
   - DITA > FrameMaker+DITA-FMx > PDF
   - DITA > XSL-FO > PDF
   - DITA > Word > PDF
   - DITA > WebWorks ePublisher > PDF

My favourite way is to generate PDFs via DITA-FMx because it is very easy
to design custom (or variants of) FrameMaker "bookbuild" templates.
"Bookbuild templates" (aka "component templates") are used to generate Fm
books from the DITA map. Then, you save this Fm book as PDF. If you know
how to design professional unstructured FrameMaker templates, you can also
design DITA-FMx bookbuild templates. These videos show you how the
bookbuild process goes:

http://youtu.be/rkQHuxtRmk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULFJ53RTHxo

Cheers