I thought I might post a solution to a problem that I encountered recently, since it involves the Type 1 Helvetica font, and many of us have installed it. I was having major problems with Internet Explorer (10) not being able to load many websites. It would load them partially, not at all, or loaded links would not work.

This drove me nuts for a while as I tried to figure out if I had a broken flash player or something else going on. I finally stumbled upon the cause and solution online. Apparently, Microsoft changed its font rendering engine in IE 9. That in combination with Windows 7 has done something to break the ability of IE to render websites that have Helvetica specified as a font.


So if you see this problem yourself, the solution is to uninstall Type 1 Helvetica. Since many of us have PostScript printers, we have installed this font on our computers. The recommendation is to replace with a TrueType or OpenType version instead. The cost of OTF Helvetica is ridiculous, though. So hello Arial.

If you create websites, you may want to leave Type 1 fonts out of your code or your IE visitors may not be able to see your site!

Here's a link to a page describing the problem:
http://bobbyjoneswebdesign.blogspot.com/2011/12/internet-explorer-9-type-1-font-bug.html

Mike Wickham


_______________________________________________


You are currently subscribed to framers as arch...@mail-archive.com.

Send list messages to framers@lists.frameusers.com.

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
framers-unsubscr...@lists.frameusers.com
or visit 
http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/archive%40mail-archive.com

Send administrative questions to listad...@frameusers.com. Visit
http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.

Reply via email to