The memory limit is per process. There are various ways that 32-bit
applications that need more than 2GB of memory (which few do) can use
it in 32-bit Windows.

I worked for 18 months with 64-bit Windows 7 at work and 32-bit
Windows 7 at home. I saw no performance difference. I had both 64-bit
and 32-bit Photoshop on the work computer and the only difference I
noticed was that it took much longer for the 64-bit version to load.

The only significant difference was that I could run things at home I
could not run at work. XP Mode had problems. 32-bit Win7 can run
ancient DOS apps, 64-bit can't.