I'm talking mainly about web help, which is not necessarily hosted on
a web server, often it's installed locally. Are any of the help
authoring tools embedding fonts in their web help? I haven't seen that
and can't find any examples by Googling.

I'm currently using Confluence and it doesn't support web fonts. I
could theoretically kludge that, but the tool chain I'm using to
generate web help from Confluence would not pick that up.