What you wrote is conceptually similar to what I do, except that I don't put
the backup files into a single location on my disk drive.

As I described earlier, each document's main directory has a subdir just below
where I am working, so it always puts the backup files only there. Hence the
backed up files from different documents are always separated and easy to
retrieve.

Plus, with my "copy all" approach (see below), using a single location would
cause common file names to cause content to be trashed.

I do keep the BAT command file itself in a single location though - it is
easily accessed from my DOS path as needed.

Here is my BAT command file. I use "copy" with the /Y option to overwrite. In
it, I copy all the files - not just the FrameMaker ones - since there are other
files there too (for example, .ini files from tools that are used within
FrameMaker):

copy/y  *.*  .\Archive\
del  *.backup.*  *.log  *.tps  *.tpdf  *.bak

This gives me a clean working environment for each editing session.

Then, when I am done releasing a particular document, I run another BAT file
finally that does the following:

rmdir/s  .\Archive\

The /S option is to delete subdirectories.