Apurva, I see that no-one has replied to your original posting, so here are my
thoughts to kick off the discussion...

At 19:03 +0530 25/9/14, Apurva Bahadur wrote:

>I am working on a 200 page FM manual for a client. Currently, the entire
>manual is one book with several FM files with one TOC.
>
>After review, the client suggested that the book be split into several smaller
>self contained books. For example, they wanted: Section A (Introduction),
>Section B (Features), Section C (Installation) etc. Each section should have
>its own sectional numbering (page A-1, Figure A-1, Paragraph A-1, Paragraph
>A-1.1 etc) and a TOC.

It all depends on what they mean by 'self-contained' books. I assume they mean
that each sub-book should have its own separate TOC *within the body of the
overall book*  - although I personally would not find this useful: people look
for a TOC at the beginning, not multiple TOCs strewn throughout a book. Still,
the Client is King. Alternatively, and in my view more user-friendly, would be
one TOC at the front, subdivided to make the sub-book structure clear.

I would initially try to handle this by keeping to just one book (200 pp is a
fairly modest size for FrameMaker), inserting part dividers and, if absolutely
necessary, creating sub-TOCs from there. You will have to update the sub-TOCs
manually: I've used this approach to produce chapter-level TOCs in the past.
You could then use FrameMaker's numbering to pick up the part numbers in the
page footers.

To create a chapter-level TOC, use the same command as for the book, but
applied to a chapter file, then insert the TOC as an inserted file at the start
of the chapter.

However, if this is not what your clients are thinking of, some other scheme
will need to be followed, for example creating sub-TOCs for all chapters within
a 'section'.

I would also try to stick to the term 'part' rather than 'section': the latter
would confuse (me, at least), as presumably there are actual sections at a
sub-chapter level.

>Initially, I tried moving relevant files of a logical section into a new book
>and creating its own TOC. I named the volume as A, B etc. and called the
><$volnum> variable in numbering of paragraph styles and page numbers. It works.
>However, I run into difficulties when inserting these books with their own
>TOCs and files in the larger project book. I find that the pdf of the complete
>project does not include the individual sectional TOCs. Any suggestions of why
>that happens?

What doesn't include the sub-TOCs: the book body, the global TOC, or both?
Which it is would govern where to look to fix the issue.

What I think we are talking about here is an 'ur-book': a book of books. I've
only used these in the past to produce global indexes, i.e. the ur-book is
created only to produce the index, not as an output object in its own right.
I'm sure there are others here with more experience with ur-books than I have
who can suggest a way to make this approach work.

>The other options are to create folders or groups inside the project's book
>but I am not sure if that will achieve the desired results.

As I've only recently migrated from FrameMaker v 7, I can't help with that, as
book-level folders are new to me..

--
Steve