Linda,

Are you using Dropbox? I had a few instances of FM files disappearing a year or so ago that I finally put down to working live in my local Dropbox on a slow internet connection.

This is theonly bug I have ever encountered in this wonderful tool (Db), and I now always make sure that Db synching has completed before closing FM files.

jjj

On 26/10/2014 3:00 AM, framers-requ...@lists.frameusers.com wrote:
Message: 13
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:12:00 -0600
From: "Linda Gallagher"<lin...@techcomplus.com>
To: "'Post Framers'"<framers@lists.frameusers.com>
Subject: FrameMaker 10 deleted a file from my hard drive

FM 10
Win 7
All, I was just working in a book that I created about a month ago. I created a
PDF, found some things that needed fixing, edited a couple of files (not the
one at issue), updated the book, found a bad x-ref, then found that the file
the x-ref went to is gone. I mean completely gone. Not in the book file, not
in the folder on my hard drive, not anywhere on my hard drive. Gone!!!!!
I edited the file earlier, and of course it was the only one I'd made
extensive changes to today, and it's also the longest file of the book
(though only 20 pages).
How on earth could the file get deleted. Everything is local on my computer.
I'm the only one using any of this. The file was there when I created the
PDF only a few minutes before the disappearing act. My only actions after
creating the PDF were to edit a couple of files in the book, then update the
book. Then WTF, the file is gone.
I've recovered the file from backups (I have multiple backup methods and
locations), but now I'm worried about this issue. What could cause it? I've
been using FM 10 for years with no issues. (I upgraded to FM 12 recently,
but haven't updated my old projects.)
Any ideas???????
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linda G. Gallagher
STC Fellow
TechCom Plus, LLC
lindag at techcomplus dot com
www.techcomplus.com <http://www.techcomplus.com/> 303-450-9076
Tutorials, "show me" demos, user guides, help, FrameMaker and WebWorks
ePublisher templates

--
/I may be old; I may be silly; but I'm not effing stupid!/
*John Pitt, technical writer/consultant*