Even better, get a trackball. You rest your hand in place and only move your thumb (plus occasionally click with a finger). Plus, you never run into that PITA issue where your mouse goes off the edge of the mouse pad, but you need to scroll further, so you have to lift the mouse, pull it back toward you, and set it down to continue scrolling-- sometimes multiple times. With a trackball, you only lift your thumb. (Or set the scroll rate to encompass the whole screen in one thumb swipe.) I've been using a trackball for years and would never go back to a mouse. Here are a couple from Logitech. I use an older model similar to the M570:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs

Mike Wickham