I've been using Kensington Expert Mouse trackballs for years. The
current model is optical. Very smooth, rarely needs cleaning. Comes
with an optional wrist support, which I use, my one complaint about
the product is that that tends to come loose. I have not found smaller
trackballs as easy to use.

I use them with Kinesis Freestyle 2 keyboards with the VIP3 lifter
attachment. I place the two parts of the keyboard about 6.5" apart.

http://www.ergonomicssimplified.com/products/images/keyboards/kinesis_freestyle_vip1.jpg

Using a laptop keyboard for any amount of time seems like a good way
to injure yourself. I can fit a Freestyle and Expert Mouse in my not
very large laptop backpack with room to spare.