Hello Maeli,

The move from MS Word to FrameMaker is good news, but why the choice for
unstructured FM ? The type of document you are hoping to create would be
ideally created in structured FrameMaker. Using huge numbers of variables in FM
is going to make the author's life hell and is not going to make maintenance of
the manuals much easier. Text insets in unstructured FrameMaker are extremely
limited and may cause the system to break down as it needs to open 100s of
files at the same time when updating the main document.

This kind of work is what structured FrameMaker is excellent for. Instead of
text insets in the form of an entire flow in a FrameMaker file, you can reuse
single words, table cells, paragraphs or anything else to be pulled in. With
the attributes available in each element, you can easily link each item to an
element in a database (or Excel sheet). In one of my projects, I am building
service manuals that have 100s of parts lists, each containing up to 50 parts,
each of which is pulled out of a single file that holds all the parts info.
Updating this service manual is a matter of pressing one button and takes 5
minutes. And with the built-in XSL engine in FrameMaker, attribute-based
filtering and ExtendScript all in the box, i.e. without installing any third
party procuct, there has to be a REALLY good reason not to use this product in
the way it was intended.

If you HAVE to work with unstructured FrameMaker, possibly because of some
outdated regulatory principles, there are still options to automate the work
using ExtendScript, but it becomes much harder to program - and harder to check
if the results are OK. If you need support in getting the info from MS Word to
structured FrameMaker and/or automating the process of pulling info from a
spreadsheet into a structured FM document, I can offer those services. The nice
thing about using structured FM is that this can be programmed without even
having any real content available, so confidentiality issues can easily be
avoided here.

Kind regards from Amsterdam

Jang

JANG Communication