And that's what it was. When I replaced the copy I had with a clean
version, generated a PDF, then used the Save As Reduced size, it came out
perfectly.

Seriously, you'd think I'd be happier about solving the problem, but what a
bloody piddly thing it turned out to be to take all that time to fix.

Oh, well. Next problem ...

--
Lin Sims