Hi Bjørn

I did this for a colleague a few years ago. I added the degrees, pilcrow and dot product characters (can't remember exactly why now). Be aware that I did this inFrameMaker 8, which we are still using, and I don't know if it will work for Frame 12.

This is how I did it:

1. Find the file menus.cfg. In Frame 8 it is here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker8\fminit\maker
2. Make a backup copy!!!!
3. Open into a text editor. The top of the file looks like this:

For documentation on this file, see "Customizing Frame Products" Online Manual
from the Help Contents.

MS Windows FrameMaker Menu Configurations

*** Document Window Main Menu ***

<ReservedMenu !MakerMainMenu    <Label Adobe FrameMaker>>
   <Menu FileMenu      <Label File>>
   <Menu EditMenu      <Label Edit>>
   <Menu FormatMenu    <Label Format>>
   <Menu ViewMenu      <Label View>>
   <Menu SpecialMenu   <Label Special>>
   <Menu GraphicsMenu     <Label Graphics>>
   <Menu TableMenu     <Label Table>>
   <Menu DocumentWindowsMenu <Label Window>>

   *** Pull Right Menus ***
      <Menu NewMenu             <Label New>>
      <Menu ImportMenu          <Label Import>>
      <Menu UtilitiesMenu       <Label Utilities>>
      <Menu QuickStartMenu      <Label Quick Start>>
      <Menu PreferencesMenu       <Label Preferences>>
      <Menu CopySpecialMenu      <Label Copy Special>>
      <Menu ColorMenu       <Label Color>>
      <ReservedMenu !MenusMenu  <Label Menus>>
      <Menu FontMenu          <Label Font>>
      <Menu SizeMenu            <Label Size>>
      <Menu StyleMenu           <Label St&yle>>
      <Menu CharactersMenu         <Label Characters>>
      <Menu ParagraphsMenu         <Label Paragraphs>>
      <Menu PageLayoutMenu         <Label Page Layout>>
      <Menu CustomizeLayoutMenu    <Label Customize Layout>>
      <Menu DocumentMenu    <Label Document>>
      <Menu HeadersAndFootersMenu <Label Headers && Footers>>
      <ReservedMenu !EmbeddedObjectMenu <Label Object>>
      <Menu ListOfMenu        <Label List Of>>
      <Menu IndexOfMenu        <Label Index Of>>
      <Menu SpecialSymbols    <Label Symbols>>
      <Menu FlyoutConditionalText <Label Conditional Text>>
      <Menu FlyoutTrackTextEdits <Label Track Text Edits>>

<Add CharBullet <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharPlusMinus            <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharDoubleDagger        <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharEllipsis            <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharEndash                <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharEmdash                <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharRegister            <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharCopyright            <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharTrademark            <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharCent                <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharPound                <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharYen                    <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharDegree <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharPilcrow <Menu SpecialSymbols>>
   <Add CharDotProduct <Menu SpecialSymbols>>

The section of text in red above controls what appears in the Symbols drop-down menu. The last three lines are the ones I added.

4. To add new entries to this menu, you need to use the correct syntax and code for each character. The codes for each character are found in this file: C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker8\fminit\configui\cmds.cfg

They are under the heading Diacritics, lines 1677 - 1841.

Copy the syntax from the other entries in this menu, but substitute the code for the character you need.

I do remember trying to add other characters to this menu, but without success. I'm sorry, but I can't remember which characters didn't work, and I didn't record this in my notes. You will just have to experiment.

I always close Frame before modifying any files, and restart it after modifying files, so that it picks up the new information.

Good luck and let me know how you get on!

Regards

Dave