This is a newbie question; on the technical side I am not a FrameMaker newbie,
having used it for several decades, but I am not familiar with recent versions
since I have stuck to old ones which do what I need, on Solaris and Windows.
With recent releases of Windows, however, FrameMaker 7.2, which I still use,
crashes increasingly often (for example just using the mouse to select text
that includes a table invariably causes a crash). That’s not sustainable so I
need to upgrade. For the most recent version all I saw on Adobe’s page is a
software-for-rent solution, which is not acceptable. Could someone please
recommend a version that is the most recent possible, is available for
purchase, works reliably on recent versions of Windows (Windows 8.1, soon
Windows 10), will take older *.fm files, generate MIF, and retain the
traditional FrameMaker advantages?

Thanks in advance,

-- Bertrand Meyer