Tom, the way I do this is to make a splash screen containing a graphic and create a PDF out of it. Then on that splash screen PDF (in Acrobat), I create "buttons" for each publication on the disc and link the button to the appropriate PDF.

When you burn the CD, you would have your splash screen PDF, the various PDFs for your manuals, and two more files that cause the disc to autorun:

autorun.inf which contains the following two lines, where "welcome.pdf" is the name I assign my splash screen:
[autorun]
open=winopen \welcome.pdf

winopen.exe
(see http://www.duckware.com/winopen/index.html for information; I can't remember what's in mine and I don't have time right now to backtrack the research)