You can define a default value for an attribute, but as far as I know
the process of importing an EDD won't change an attribute value from one
thing to another. The "default" value is just the value of the attribute
if it has no other value applied.

I guess the question is, in the statement .. "set all attributes to
default values when the EDD is imported" .. does "default" refer to the
FrameMaker concept of default (empty), or do you mean "some actual
default value" ?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the original question, I think you'll have
to go with the script, Rick.

...scott

Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.