Jim,

You wrote:

 > I have a problem that is making me crazy. There are a few
 > seemingly-random table heading cells whose text does not show
 > up in the PDF.

One possibility is the combination of "Save as PDF" with "Tagged PDF"
turned on (which may be there by default).
See http://www.microtype.com/FM_bugs.html#FM71 for more info and sample files.
(Note: this problem is listed under FM7.1 but applies to FM7.2 as well.
Generally, bugs listed under a specific FM release apply to later versions,
unless indicated otherwise).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars