Hi Jon:

You can create directly in FrameMaker as an EDD, then can save as a DTD.
(If you need a schema, you can turn a DTD into a schema using several
tools... My favorite is TurboXML:
http://www.tibco.com/software/metadata/turboxml.jsp .

Or, to create the DTD or schema you can use tools like TurboXML, Oxygen,
etc.  Make either a DTD or a schema (depending on what your requirements
are) and then bring the DTD or schema into FrameMaker via File > Structure
Tools > Open DTD (or Open Schema). FrameMaker's EDD is created from that
imported element/attribute data and you can start adding your
formatties/template info.

If you need any additional clarification, feel free to reply.

Good luck,

Kay

Kay Ethier
Senior Trainer & Consultant