The point is that the results you get when you print a document
(to paper or to PDF) are dependent on the printer and the font
\metrics that it is using, so would you prefer the on-screen display
to reflect the results you'll get when you print or would you prefer
that it show you something different than you'll see in your final
deliverable? Every printer has slightly different dimensions for
the space each glyph occupies on a line, so the length of a line,
and where the line needs to break will vary slightly from one
printer to another. Sometimes the line length differences are
small enough that they don't matter; sometimes all those subtle
differences add up to enough that a line breaks one word earlier
or later. And that can affect the length of a paragraph, which can
affect the page break, and that change in the page break can
ripple onward to affect the length of your chapter and change the
page number and make your TOC and cross-references incorrect.
This is why FrameMaker annoys you with that warning message
about "font information has changed" whenever you change the
printer. (MS Word on the other hand, just lets things change and
never warns you at all...)

With the "DisplayUsingPrinterMetrics" setting in maker.ini turned
off, FrameMaker displays each glyph in it's original form, using
however many pixels it takes to produce the shape at 96 dpi. If
you change the zoom factor, you'll see the length of your text
lines change because the required number of pixels gets quantized
differently at each zoom factor. For example, at small zoom factors
you may see some lines become unnaturally wide, extending past
the right margin or extending beyond the cell border in a table.
But each individual glyph will be properly shaped. With the
"Display..." option turned on, FrameMaker distorts the shapes of
individual glyphs (and sometimes the space between glyphs) in
the on-screen display only in order to make the length of each line
match the length that you'll get in the printed (hard copy or PDF)
output. No more lines extending into the margin or colliding with
cell borders, no more line length changes at different screen
zoom factors. But the downside is that the glyphs are not as
cleanly, clearly shaped as they should be.

So you pay your money and you take your choice. For me, the
choice is clear.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ