From: framers-bounces+glenn.voyles=mitchell....@lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-bounces+glenn.voyles=mitchell.com at lists.frameusers.com]
On Behalf Of Rick Quatro
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:18
To: Kellogg, Michael; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: Cannot invoke OLE server?

Hi Michael,

This is probably not the advice you wanted, but I would discourage you
from
using OLE objects in FrameMaker. The safest, most-reliable approach is
save your Visio images in a graphic format and import the graphic by
reference into FrameMaker. I am not familiar with Visio, so I can't
suggest
a graphic format, but perhaps you can use EPS or PDF.

OLE objects have the same disadvantage as graphics imported by copy:
when
something goes wrong with the graphics, the only solution is to reimport

them.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com

Hi there!

Anybody have a fix for broken OLEs, or have any idea what's causing the
problem? When I right-click the Visio image in .fm, it apparently
recognizes it as a "Visio Object", but selecting Edit or Open results in
the dreaded "Cannot invoke OLE server" dialog.

I tried Edit>Links but options in the Edit>Links dialog are grayed-out
darn it (they're also grayed-out in the original .fm, whose OLE2s do
work -- I'm seeking an easy solution vs. re-importing, copy/pasting from
the working .fm, etc. I've got a lot of files to process). In the
broken-OLE2 .fm, Object Properties do indicate OLE2 -- I'm hoping the
OLE2s are actually there and (given a miracle solution) launchable. I
tried Edit>Update References (OLE Links Marked for Manual Update),
producing no errors. FYI the Visio images were originally imported
(File>Import>Object>Create from file, "Link" UNchecked) w/the intention
of fully embedding -- NOT linking by reference. The files aren't on a
network drive, but get checked out of Documentum by various users. My
guess is that there's a subtle problem such as Visio version
incompatibility (e.g., a user w/a previous version of Visio opened the
.fm, modified the .vsd, saved, causing a disconnect of some type).

Advice welcome :)

FrameMaker v7.1
Visio Pro 2003 SPS 2