--- Alan Houser <arh at groupwellesley.com> wrote:
> Organizations are "successful" when they meet their
> business requirements as efficiently (time and $$$)
as
> possible. I talk lots of people _out_ of migrating
to XML for
> this reason. I even occasionally say "you're doing
just fine
> with MS Word."
Certainly, there's no rational reason to migrate to
XML unless you intend (now or in the future) to manage
your documentation by storing it (parsed into its
constituent components) in a database/CMS, or your
customer(s) demand that your documentation be
delivered to them in that form for the same purpose.

The other case where XML may be important is  database
publishing of catalogs, directories, etc., where the
content is originated in the database, and must be
output to a publishing engine such as FrameMaker.
However, there are several other forms (e.g.,
character-delimited, fixed field, and others) in which
any database can output the data, and, in my
experience these alternatives are better than XML for
database publishing.
> Printing XML using XSL-FO is one of the most
difficult tasks
> you will face, and leveraging the XSLT transforms
for an
> off-the-shelf DTD is likely to save a very
substantial amount
> of development time.
======================================
And there's the rub, isn't it. The whole idea of SGML
and XML is based on the premise that structure and
metadata are the important things, and thus all
formatting information must be striped out of the
stored content. But then the extreme difficulties and
high cost associated with developing customized,
adaptable XSL-FO, FOSI or DSSL appications forces
companies to select a non-optimal "standard" DTD so
they don't have to do any formatting development.
Thus, the desira to create a customized DTD that
provides the optimal structure for an enterprise must
be abandoned snd replaced with a dreary "standard" DTD
like Docbook or DITA. And they must also accept the
dreary formatting produced by the "standard"
formatting application.

So the original concept that structure is more
important than formatting, is, in reality reversed,
and the typical enterprise is forced to accept an easy
solution to the formatting problem by choosing a
mediocre "standard" monstrosity such as Docbook or
DITA. Does that make any sense? Not to me it doesn't.

> By the way, I never recommend starting out with
> out-of-the-box DocBook
That's like putting lipstick on the pig. It's still a
pig.
And each modification of Docbook or DITA may imply
major costs in adapting the "standard" XSL-FO
application which caused you to select the pig in the
first place. Thus, significant modification of the pig
is likely to be discouraged.

Dan Emory & Associates
DW Emory <danemory7224 at sbcglobal.net>