From: framers-bounces+jsgammato=imprivata....@lists.frameusers.com on behalf of
Bernard Aschwanden
Sent: Thu 1/5/2006 9:45 AM
To: 'John Pitt'; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Docbook and Frame 7.2

A quick response is to ask if you have already printed and reviewed the
structure developers guide PDF that ships with FM. It's in the OnlineManuals
folder of the installation directory and is called Structure_Dev_Guide.pdf

That's a pretty good start. As for some of the others... Depending on the time
you have available I can suggest that you get Kay Ethiers book "XML and
FrameMaker".

In either case, look up the following:

cols
widths
colsep
rowsep
frame
tabstyle

A sample of some of the table rules that you need to consider are in the
Structure_Dev_Guide.pdf file in the CALS table model. The big warning on
working with tables (thanks to Lynne Price for this one when it drove me nuts)
is to ensure that the DTD you are referencing also contains the attributes
required for properties such as the number of columns, their width, span
properties and so on. If not, then you don't get the right output. That drove
me crazy since I thought I had all of FM working right (and I did) but I failed
to get the table coded in the DTD correctly.

If you are dealing with docbook then I strongly suggest starting with
read/write rules that knock out the 8317 elements you don't need and keeps the
stuff you find useful. I also found a ton of the attributes to be overkill and
dropped them as well.

Hopefully this gets you started. If it's not enough and you are at the DITA
conference in March in North Carolina, look me up and we can run a test or two
(assuming it's not too late). Finally, there are enough consultants (myself
included) on this list that someone can always be hired to pitch in on the
project.

All the best,

Bernard

Bernard Aschwanden