OK-- this is somewhat OT, but I think you folks will have some good
input.
I've (today) been tasked with developing a new system for developing,
maintaining, and delivering the Functional Specification.
Below are the broad outlines of the requirements.
I'm not sure at this point whether I should be looking at a CMS, a
database system, Subversion, XML, or ?????

I am completely open to all suggestions.
Also, if someone has done this before -- I'd *really* like to pick your
brains!

Grant

________________________________

Desires:

*       Windows XP platform
*       For Functional Specifications only
*       Easy to maintain
*       Transparent to End Users (Company employees)  -- very shallow
learning curve
*       Ability to target documents against specific development
entities, but also to create a "global" document
*       Draw on a single codebase to produce all documents
*       Set of documents covering individual Core functionalities
*       Set of documents covering individual Product functionalities
(includes Core)
*       Set of documents covering individual Specialization
functionalities (includes Core AND Product)

Match Aspects to Proposed Architecture:

*       Core -- Common to all products
*       Application Layer -- Individual product differentiation (Note:
may override core functions)
*       Specializations -- "Flavors" of product (e.g. different data
sources for different companies)

Source format:

*       Must use MS Word (2003) as an authoring environment
*       Possibly OLE links as well to Excel or other apps

Roles:

*       Author (multiple, concurrent access) Read/Write/Change/Delete
*       Editor (multiple, concurrent access)  Read/Change/comment
*       Reviewer (multiple, concurrent access) Read/comment
*       Viewer (multiple, concurrent access) Read

*       QA
*       Developer
*       PM
*       Other ???
*       Internal viewers see list of changes to document (change log) --
these should be obvious
*       External viewers will not see change record

Grant Hogarth
Equis International - A Reuters Company
ghogarth at Equis.com <mailto:ghogarth at Equis.com>  /
Grant.Hogarth at Reuters.com
Direct: (+1) 801.270.3180   Main Fax: 801.265.3999