Having been a "manual laborer" for about 15 years, I've come to
appreciate FM. Word gets better with each new release, but still loses
its mind when the auto-numbering schemes get complex (auto-numbered
chapters and headings, steps, figures, tables, etc.). word is also
limited in the graphics-file-format-import realm. Other Word-related
anomalies push me to the brink of madness. I presently use FM and Word,
the latter for docs the engineers may need to tweak occasionally, and
the former for the big user and service manuals that I "own" and manage
exclusively.

Due to past struggles with various DTP and related software as such
programs apply to TW, I have made decisions, in interviews, base upon
the tools available within a company, and a department's apparent
willingness (or lack thereof) to consider modernizing their tools (e.g.,
from Word, PageMaker, Quark, et al., to FM or, back in the day,
Interleaf).

When I worked in a strong, small TW-contract co. about 10 years ago, we
added about 15 percent onto bids that required us to use Word (versus FM
or Interleaf).

I would advise a TW starter to consider and inquire of the tools
available, and inquire as to whether better-suited tools are in the
near-future budget. The answer may reveal the dogmatic or tenacious
nature of a manager, department, and company.