Hi all:

Just thought I would let everyone on the list know that Adobe had a noticeable
presence at the STC conference in Vegas. The biggest topics that they discussed
included Acrobat 3D, RoboHelp and FrameMaker.

I think that the booth had around 10 people from Adobe and that included a lot
of the FrameMaker crew. A lot of interest from attendees as well. I was at a
booth directly across from them and can tell you that Adobe was busy. People
like Karl Matthews, Micheal Hu, Vipal Bansal, RJ Jacquez and others took the
time to meet with attendees, presenters and vendors.

Unofficially I would guess that the majority of people who visited that Adobe
spoke with had a positive message. It seemed that Adobe was there, was positive
and was actively getting information from people. I say "unofficially" because
I didn't talk to all of them, but did meet several people who said that a lot
of positive conversations happened.

They also seem to spend a lot of time talking to users informally at the tables
throughout the conference, so I'm hoping that leads to some positive things
down the road. It looks like they are getting a bit more serious about
FrameMaker again which is nice to see. I suggest that you may want to see what
conferences are coming up that have a solid presence by the FrameMaker team and
it may give you a hint as to when to expect more news about Frame.

I suggest that because they had a lot of positive news about FrameMaker and
about RoboHelp at this conference and seem to be getting the message out to
people that Frame is back. If Adobe is marketing the product at these shows,
then it's highly likely that there is also development work happening. Adobe
has said that structured content is a growth area (mentioned at the Frame
conference last year) and that development geared to that type of audience is
happening. DITA is also a growth area (my experience, not a statement I recall
from Adobe) so I would hope that this bodes well for the future.

I'm off to the AIIM conference next week and the Adobe CEO is a keynote. I'm
not expecting to hear about Frame there as that conference is not geared to the
tech writing world, but if I do I'll pass that on to the list as well.

Bernard

Bernard Aschwanden
Publishing Technologies Expert
Publishing Smarter