This problem happens frequently enought that we've included it in our
in-house documentation. Here's what we say:

PDF doesn?t open to the first page
This problem commonly happens to books converted to FrameMaker 7 from
earlier versions. To fix this problem, perform the following steps:

1. Open the FrameMaker book file, and select the first line (the book), as
shown in the following illustration.

<< Picture would go here >>

2. Choose Format >> Document >> PDF Setup. The PDF Setup for Selected Files
window opens.

3. On the Settings tab, enter 1 in the Open PDF Document On Page field,
then click Set.

It seems the problem occurs because the book hasn't been told on which
page to open. That's why the last file "wins".

Hope this helps.

Steve