This sounds like the same issue that Mike Wickham reported last week.
(See the thread starting with his message "FrameMaker 8 justification
& auto letter spacing broken?" dated 8/7 if the list archive is working.)
It appears that the Automatic Letter Spacing function is significantly
broken in FrameMaker 8.  Justification works OK if the function is
disabled (meaning only inter-word spacing is adjusted to achieve
justification), but does not justfy properly when you try to adjust
letter spacing as well (which is, of course, the proper way to do
professional looking justification...).

-Fred Ridder