I converted a pretty large Word document by opening it in Frame, first
saving it as a MIF, then saving it as FM
The FM file initially appeared pretty OK. However after I scrolled
throug the file (without making ANY changes), then saved it, the file
grew enormously in size.

Some specs:

Initial Word document had about 256 pages, a TOC, lots of tables and
embedded graphics
Almost everything seemed to make it through the conversion OK. Perhaps a
handful of graphics were dropped.

        FILE                                            SIZE (MB)

    Original Word file                             5.0

MIF File after Conversion                     11

FM file from MIF File  (initial)                 3.1

FM file after a litle scrolling                  13

FM file after a little more scrolling        38

Final FM file size                            ~ 68

I also tried copying/pasting the contents of newly-converted file into a
'clean' new file.

The size of that FM File              72 MB

I also tried cnverting the initial Word file to RTF, then converting the
RTF to MIF and FM. However, the results were the same.

The behavior is also very consistent and repeatable.

I have also converted quite a number of other Word docs to Frame lately
without eny evidence of similar problems.

Question:
Has anyone seen this behavior before?
Do you have any ideas of what the possible cause is (other than
"something in the Word file is corrupted"), as well as possible fixes
and/orworkarounds?

Micheal O'Laoghaire
KBS Documentation
Comverse Inc.